Wednesday, June 8, 2005

DDLJ

".....when I go to the theatre, I expect miracles. I fully believe that characters will appear, stories will be told, mysteries ravelled and unravelled. ...... despite incredible odds and usually only part of the time, it happens.........."
------- George Walker WFIU


So! I finally watched "Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge" on DVD. For non-bollywood fans, it's the longest running bollywood movie ever! Actually, longest running anywhere, I think. It was released in 1995 and is still being shown at the movie theaters in India! There was a huge to-do about celebrating its 10th year anniversary recently. <http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1118029.cms>

The movie is a bit long (what bollywood movie isn’t?) and some scenes are a bit unrealistic (is this a surprise?), but I absolutely love the movie. I don’t understand people who dislike bollywood movies. I can understand indifference or even some derision but I can’t get the outright dislike. So it’s filled with fantasy. And? It’s entertainment, people! No one ever said bollywood originated out of the need to get across socially conscious messages to the masses (well, now some try). It’s entertaining, it’s romantic, it’s hopeful. What’s wrong with zoning out of reality once in a while to dream and cheer on our heroes and heroines? What’s wrong with listening to nice music and dance sequences for a while? (Do they always have to dance around trees, though? (smile)). What’s wrong with knowing at the back of your mind that a scene in the movie is rather unrealistic but still keeping our fingers crossed for the hero/heroine that they triumph against that insurmountable barrier? I’m a dreamer, I love movies and the theater. So sue me.

Well, I have another date with Shah Rukh Khan, I’m about to watch “Devdas”. I’ll let you know how I find it……….



No comments:

Still Hopeful in 2025

The year that Okonkwo took eight hundred seed yams from Nwakibie was the worst year in living  memory. Nothing happened at its proper time; ...