The article’s heading was “Republicans Plan Cuts in Foreign Aid”, written by Anna Willard. I really wasn’t surprised that the Republicans plan to slash foreign aid that should have gone towards debt-relief for countries hit by the last tsunami, international peace-keeping operations and reconstruction in Afghanistan.
This is in addition to President Bush setting up an alternate group to coordinate relief efforts to the Asian tsunami victims. Why set up another entity when the UN is perfectly capable of coordinating the relief efforts, I wonder? This is the same president that has withheld $34 million earmarked for the United Nations Population Fund, the entity that implements programs to improve reproductive health, stabilize population growth and enhance the status of women. The story is that they do not preach abstinence but instead promote the use of contraceptives. Another reason is that there was a rumor that the agency was involved in forced abortions and sterilization in China. The fact-finding team sent to China determined that there was no truth to this story, yet the money is still being withheld.
The saying goes that no man is an island. Well, no country is, either. I still refuse to believe that the majority of Americans have the same myopic view that what happens around the rest of the world doesn’t affect the US.
I’m sad that I’m no longer surprised when I hear that there’s an American President that doesn’t care if millions of children die of AIDS and starvation, I’m sad that it’s no longer shocking to hear that the nation’s Attorney General advocates torture, I’m sad that “Hotel Rwanda” , a brilliantly understated movie that shines light on the genocidal atrocities committed by one tribe against another (tantamount to the same level of devastation wrought on the Jews during the Holocaust) was over-looked by the Oscars, even sadder that we’re all pretending like the Darfur crisis is over. I still contend that the song, “Million Voices” by Wyclef Jean, written for Hotel Rwanda’s soundtrack deserved an Oscar nomination along with the other songs that were nominated. I dare you to listen to it and not be moved. I’m happy about the way that everybody clamored to assist the Asian tsunami victims, but saddened that no one mentioned providing any aid to the African tsunami victims.
What can I say? I’m saddened by many things, yet hopeful still. I’m disillusioned about so many things, but strangely optimistic that the human race will redeem itself one of these days. It has to.
Non-structured blog about my thoughts on everything....when I have the inclination to write them down
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Still Hopeful in 2025
The year that Okonkwo took eight hundred seed yams from Nwakibie was the worst year in living memory. Nothing happened at its proper time; ...
-
Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris. Hilarious! Still prefer Me Talk Pretty One Day, though. Couldn't read that o...
-
http://www.newsheadlines.com.ng/latest-news/2015/04/12/5-startup-lessons-from-the-buhari-campaign/
2 comments:
...or self-destruct.
It really is sad that any human who has the power to really make a difference to other people's lives and circumstances would rather spend the resources waging war under the guise of 'defending the motherland'. Call me a pacifist if you like, but I still believe that war should always be the very last resort. In this case it was, and still is the preferrd option. I guess we really don't understand the enormous responsibility that such power places on us.
I'm told the reason why Sudan has suddenly dropped out of the world -as far as any aid-giving organization is concerned- is because they previously turned on aid workers, and killed and maimed them. Methinks this is a sign of an even greater turmoil in their lives, and I also think maybe those circumstances could be subjected to a little bit more investigation.
Technically, many countries are islands. Austrailia. New Zealand.
US foreign policy is fucked. So many of the thorns in our sides overseas could be prevented with a little compassionate action. It makes so much sense (ethically and financially) to help out countries in need before disaster strikes.
Oh, and what the hell is up with this administration's refusal to assist on any issue when abortion is concerned? We're so self righteous and fanatical about this one particular issue that we blind ourselves to so much good that we could be doing.
Orangegirl is right. It's sad that we have so much power to be helping but we don't.
b
Post a Comment