Thursday, May 5, 2005

Bangalore III: Venture to Bangalore streets

Thursday May 5, 4:30PM Bangalore

So, I finally ventured out to the streets of Bangalore this afternoon. Got back from work at about 12:30PM. B, K & I were all starving because we missed breakfast. Went to The Szechwan court and had lunch. I was very happy after the meal. If you know me well, you'll know I love food; excellent food, well- seasoned and well- presented. Presentation is part of dinning, if you ask me. People generally don’t bother with that anymore (sigh).

Anyways, back to my trip through Bangalore streets. It’s not as adventurous as I make it sound because I only went down the road to Bangalore Central which is the closest mall to the hotel. And I went with B so I wasn’t by myself. Crossing the street took off about 2 years off my life because you have to somehow cross while all the cars, buses, bikes, motorcycles and tuk-tuks are zipping by and blaring their horns. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve crossed many a busy streets but this was entirely different. A tuk-tuk driver almost drove over my right foot while I was walking on what I thought was the sidewalk.
We walked down M.G Road to Residency Rd where the mall was and found it just like it was described by the concierge at the hotel. The mall looks very small at first site but I think the building must have had about 20 levels. Okay, I’m exaggerating but every time we got to one floor, we were delighted to find that ye another floor exists. I think it was about 4 or 5 floors. Didn’t buy too much stuff because I’m waiting till we go to a real market where I can haggle over prices.
I was standing in line to pay and this guy walks in front of me and stands in front of me. I was being polite by standing a little ways from the person paying at the cashier but I was apparently standing too far away. Personal space has little meaning in India as in the case in many African and Hispanic culture so I’m getting used to not having my bubble around me. Anyways, I had to tell the guy to get behind me because I was standing in line to pay and he proceeded to stand beside me without saying anything. LOL. It just looked funny to me.

1 comment:

Orange girl said...

LOL about the guy at the counter! You're lucky you didnt get chastised for not taking your 'proper place' in the queue - which is right up next to the guy in front of you, your toes to his heel, your chin to the back of his head.

Still Hopeful in 2025

The year that Okonkwo took eight hundred seed yams from Nwakibie was the worst year in living  memory. Nothing happened at its proper time; ...